The Court’s decision in Miranda was met with criticism
when it was handed down in 1966, and it continues to be controversial
today. This worksheet contains commentary on the decision and its
effect on law enforcement. For each quote decide whether the writer is
supporting (pro) or criticizing (con) the decision in Miranda.
Write a paragraph expressing your opinion about the decision:
Sources of the Quotes
- Rothwax, Harold. Guilty: The Collapse of Criminal Justice. New York: Random House, 1996, p. 79.
- "A Pillar of the Law Assailed." Economist 12/11/99 v 353 i8149 p. 23.
- Otis, William G. "Miranda: Morals and Marbles." The Washington Post 24 November 1999: A23.
- Krauthammer, Charles. "Supreme Hypocrisy." The Washington Post 30 June 2000: A31.
- Coughlin, Anne M., "Miranda Only Works for the Usual Suspects." The Washington Post 12 December 1999: B1.
- Tucker, William, "True Confessions: The Long Road Back from Miranda." National Review 18 October 1985: 28.
- Parloff, Roger, "Miranda on the Hot Seat." New York Times Magazine 26 September 1999: 84-87.